I had the same problem.  The GUI simply doesn't show. Everything seems
to work.

I upgraded from trusty, where my EWS configuration was OK.

I Just removed Evolution-EWS. Restarted, setup IMAP+ accounts, and the
GUI is back. Less the EWS features...

Packages, which is subscribed to evolution in Ubuntu.

  Evolution-EWS 3.12 causes Evolution to hang Utopic

Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:

  Fresh install, add a mail account and nothing happens after.
  Calendars will show up in Gnome but evolution just sits there with no
  UI ever popping up.  Can wait hours, will not crash or do anything.
  If you try to open another instance you get a pop up saying it's
  already running.

  Fresh install of UbuntuGnome both with updates turned on and off.
  Both times, same results.  Evolution-EWS is what causes it, if you
  remove it it opens just fine.