2 black screens in a row for the last 2 days...

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  Resume from suspend leaves me with black screen

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using 12.04 64bit latest
  uname -a
  Linux xps-Dell-System-XPS-L702X 3.2.0-65-generic #98-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 11
20:27:07 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  on a Dell XPS L702X (this has a builtin Intel graphics and the GeForce
  GT550M card.)

  When I close the lid to suspend & resume, sometimes (not always), I
  just get a backlit black screen with a moveable cursor... but the rest
  of the screen doesn't come back. I can hear other apps
  resumming/running/connecting ok.

  When this happens, all I normally do is the ALT-PRNTSCR + R,E,I,S,U,B
  to hopefully safely reboot.

  I did find this bug - which looks like my exact problem, but the bug
  says fixed (& is pretty old - 2012)

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-
  intel/+bug/966744

  - suggestions at the end are to raise a new bug under "xserver-xorg-
  video-intel" - hence this log.

  In my Xorg.log, it shows the;
  [ 13226.757] (WW) intel(0): flip queue failed: Invalid argument
  [ 13226.757] (WW) intel(0): Page flip failed: Invalid argument

  - mentioned in the original bug as the possible problem.

  hope someone can help/point me in the right direction. thanks.

  [raised a forum post too;
  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2231009]

  1]
   lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.04

  2]
   apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-intel
  xserver-xorg-video-intel:
    Installed: 2:2.19.0-0ubuntu1~xup1
    Candidate: 2:2.19.0-0ubuntu1~xup1
    Version table:
   *** 2:2.19.0-0ubuntu1~xup1 0
          500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu/
precise/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       2:2.17.0-1ubuntu4.4 0
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main amd64
Packages
       2:2.17.0-1ubuntu4 0
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages

  3] I expect the lid to close & suspend. When I re-open the lid I
  expect ubuntu to resume

  4] Most times this work. Sometimes (random - maybe 1 in 5 to 1 in 10)
  the machines resumes, but the screen remains black (but backlit) with
  just a moveable mouse arrow. Apps start, but no further screen
  display. I have to reboot.