Public bug reported:

Hi,

I have issues after upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04. I can run

system-config-printer

as root but not as a normal user. I get the error

There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'Bad Request'.

If I run

system-config-printer --debug

I get the following output:

OpenPrinting: Init ('en_US', 'UTF-8') 1 0
+<NewPrinterGUI object at 0x7ff964028460 (newprinter+NewPrinterGUI at 0xea5ba0)>
Connected as user roberto
+<PrinterPropertiesDialog object at 0x7ff964041dc0
(printerproperties+PrinterPropertiesDialog at 0xf0b3a0)>
<authconn.Connection instance at 0x7ff964033830>: Operation += obtaining queue
details
Authentication pass: 1
Authentication: password callback set
1024: u'Bad Request'

If I instead run the command with sudo I can access the dialog and set
the printers, but then the applications that do not run as root cannot
see the printers set by root.

The variable

CUPS_SERVER

is set and exported both by the .profile in my home directory and in
/etc/profile. I would also exclude a rights problem as (i) the command
was workin gbefore the upgrade, and (ii) my user's groups include

sys adm lp dialout lpadmin admin

** Affects: system-config-printer (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to system-config-printer in Ubuntu.

  Cannot run system-config-printer as notmal user after upgrading to
  14.04

Status in “system-config-printer” package in Ubuntu: