When I plug in a FAT32 formatted pen drive, mount shows:

/dev/sdc1 /media/sumedh/PenDrive vfat
rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=100,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks2
0 0

The man page for mount says this about "flush":

       flush  If set, the filesystem will try to flush to disk more
early than normal.  Not set by default.

This tells me that the problem will be much less visible on FAT but
there is likely to be a window of time where it can still happen.

  USB flash drive (NTFS) keeps writing for quite a while even after
  "Eject" completes

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  Release: Ubuntu 14.04

  Nautilus version: 1:3.10.1-0ubuntu9.1

  Expected: After pressing "Eject" on a flash drive (formatted with NTFS
  -- haven't tried with FAT yet) I expected it to return only after
  flushing and unmounting the drive so the drive is completely safe to
  remove at that point

  What happened: "Eject" returned after a short while. The drive still
  kept writing for a long time. Mount shows the drive still mounted for
  the period while the flash drive keeps blinking though "df" does not
  show the drive anymore. Removing the drive at this point results in
  partial file write and NTFS filesystem damage (fixable with ntfsfix
  but dangerous).

  Steps to reproduce:

  1) Insert a flash drive (tried with NTFS mounted drive though I
  believe FAT will show similar behaviour though latter uses "flush"
  mount option so may not be that prominent)

  2) Try copying a large file. For testing use a size that will also mostly fit
into filesystem cache so that real wait for writing is during unmount: dd
if=/dev/zero of=/media/<user>/<drive>/test.out bs=1M count=1000
  <user> is the user name and <drive> the name where drive was mounted by
nautilus as per the label.

  3) "Eject" the drive from nautilus context menu after dd command above
  returns.

  4) Eject returns shortly. However drive is still writing as seen by
  the blinking, or disk throughput in gkrellm, iostat. Also note that
  "mount" still shows the drive as mounted though "df" and other tools
  don't.

  I have confirmed the same issue exists on all similar file managers
  namely nemo and caja. Haven't filed bugs against those yet.

  For comparison, the gnome-disks system utility correctly unmounts,
  ejects and stops the drive (last one even powers down the drive so the
  LED on drive is switched off which one would expect nautilus "Eject"
  to also do) so it doesn't seem to be a bug in udisks2.