I have the same issue.
I am using a system wide proxy settings and every time I try to lookup for
"Auckland" which should show me the Auckland  New Zeland time as a choice I do
not get anything in the gui as a response.

** Changed in: unity-control-center (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-control-center in Ubuntu.

  Unable to add locations of time/date to show in clock applet on
  computer behind a proxy

Status in “unity-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu version info:
  Release: 12.10

  Gnome Control Centre version info:
    Installed: 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu19
    Candidate: 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu19
    Version table:
   *** 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu19 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  When trying to add extra locations to show the time for in the Clock
  applet (via Time & Date Settings -> Clock -> Choose Locations) the
  list of possible matches for my typed entry is never shown.

  I'm using a computer with a proxy configured via the network applet
  (and "Use system-wide" pressed) and suspect that's the root of the
  trouble however I'm not sure how to go about debugging this, any
  pointers would be appreciated.

  Steps taken:

  * Click clock -> "Time & Date Settings"
  * Select "Clock" tab
  * Check "Time in other locations"
  * Click "Choose Locations"
  * Click "+"
  * Type "New Yo"
  * <wait ~30s> nothing happens

  Expected results:
  * On other machines (without the proxied connection) a list of potential
locations from which I can select "New York, New York" is shown.