Public bug reported:

Hello, I have been having this problem for at least six months. I often
use the 'connect to server' > 'sftp://some...@something.com' in nautilus
to transfer files to and from remote servers. It works great. The
problem comes from suspending / resuming near the time of doing these
actions. (I am about 90% sure)

If the error occurrs, after resuming, nautilus will freeze, and I can
end it, and then it will not re launch again. In terminal , the error it
gives when trying to launch is. "Could not register the application:
Timeout was reached" Launching a nautilus instance with sudo works as
expected.

I have determined that the error comes from the sftp daemon because I
have found, through trial and error, that ending a specific SSH process
will unfreeze / allow relaunching of nautilus almost instantly after it
is killed.

$ ps -aef | grep ssh >>

paul      5731 20771  0 09:47 pts/26   00:00:00 /usr/bin/ssh
-oForwardX11 no -oForwardAgent no -oPermitLocalCommand no
-oClearAllForwardings yes -oProtocol 2
-oNoHostAuthenticationForLocalhost yes -l ubuntu -s <URL CUT> sftp

this is an example of that the process looks like that is causing the
hang.

This error occurs even if I make sure to close nautilus before putting
the computer to sleep.

Information:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        14.04
Codename:       trusty

32 bit

Hardware:
Ibm / lenovo thinkpad T60, ati fireGL board.
4gb ram

** Affects: gvfs (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  sftp freezes nautilus after standby / resume cycle

Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu: