How this this bug low priority for a LTS release!!! This should be basic
desktop function. Grab title bar from firefox, drag to deskto to create
shortcut, then unable to move the icon and receive errors and extra
files created when moving. Just like mentioned above.

Ubuntu 14.04.1LTS 64bit, fresh install with VirtualBox, Citrix Reciever, chrome
installed (but haven't even launched chome yet).
Firefox 32.

  can't move link type .desktop files around on desktop

Status in Nautilus:
  New
Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  If I have a .desktop file with Type=Link on my desktop and try to move
  it around it doesn't stay where I drop it but goes back where it was
  before and tries to download the URL it is referring to instead.

  Save the following as e.g. test.desktop in your ~/Desktop folder and
  try to move it around on the desktop:

  [Desktop Entry]
  Version=1.0
  Type=Link
  Name=test
  URL=https://launchpad.net/index.html

  This affects at least 13.10 and 14.04.

   In 13.10 Nautilus crashes if the URL as a file:// URL referring to a
  file on your desktop.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.10.1-0ubuntu3
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-7-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.13.2-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: i386
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Mon Feb 10 14:06:24 2014
  GsettingsChanges:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Beta i386 (20130925.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/zsh
  SourcePackage: nautilus
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2013-12-07 (64 days ago)