We use syncevolution, which communicates with Google on the remote side
and evolution-data-server on the local side to store events. There is no
API in syncevolution to limit the scope of events retrieved. We need to
look into modifying it to do so, and to optimize it's operational time
as it's ridiculously slow (this in part is likely due to evolution-
calendar-factory using a flat file to store the calendar events).

Renato has indicated there is a newer version of syncevolution which has
recently been released that may improve the situation. The next step is
to try this new version and see if it helps.

Packages, which is subscribed to evolution-data-server in Ubuntu.

  Initial sync of the calendar takes a prohibitive amount of time

Status in Sync monitor for Ubuntu Touch:
  New
Status in “evolution-data-server” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “syncevolution” package in Ubuntu:

  Mako running 116

  Initial sync of default google calendar ran continuously for 90 mins before I
terminated it
  The ics file grew to 8MB

  I can see two major things from the log:
  - it syncs all past events (I would suggest starting with the current or
previous month if necessary)
  - it adds recurring events repeatedly (is the query using the wrong API and
receiving events by timeframe rather than as raw event data?)