Confirmed the patch fixes the issues in steps 3-5 above. Tested on a
Powerbook G4 running 12.04

Packages, which is subscribed to wpasupplicant in Ubuntu.

  dbus: Fix endianness bug in Frequency and Signal properties

Status in “wpasupplicant” package in Ubuntu:

  Please include the attached patch in the next update to wpasupplicant
  in Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise).

  The patch is based on this upstream commit

http://w1.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap-1.git;a=commitdiff;h=42f93a9a0f1858ba8492a1349515624965a64e34;hp=5045a668201f1027dbcc91bd8d092bbcee15a2e3

  The version of wpasupplicant currently in precise has the following
  PowerPC bug:

  To reproduce:

  1. connect to a wireless network by clicking on the name in the applet.
  2. check that the connection works.
  3. see that there is no network listed under "Wireless Networks" in the
applet menu. (Although the "Disconnect" word is there and functional.)
  4. see that the signal strength is apparantly empty on the applet icon. (Yet
the signal strength is actually quite strong.)
  5. check nmcli command and see that signal strength always shows 100 and
frequency 0.

  Applying the patch to wpasupplicant 0.7.3-6ubuntu2.1 fixes the problem
  (on my PowerPC G4 iBook).  Before finding this patch I've had to work
  around the problem by installing wicd.

  Thanks