The fix was upstreamed in the pulseaudio. Please refer to
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/?id=1ff4f1b67a813d1772f04f4d394588a0a4483c28

** Changed in: hwe-next
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Hui Wang (hui.wang)

** Changed in: hwe-next

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: hwe-next

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  No sound input/output via bluetooth headset in HSP/HFP mode

Status in HWE Next Project:
  Fix Released
Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  On a machine without fixed connecting audio devices like internal
  microphone or internal speaker, And when there is no external audio
  devices plugging in, the default source/sink is alsa_input/alsa_output
  and there is no input devices/output devices listed in the gnome
  sound-setting.

  Under this situation, if we connect a bluetooth headset, the gnome
  sound-setting will list bluez input/output devices, but they are not
  active devices by default. This looks very weird that sound-setting
  lists only one input device and one output device, but they are not
  active. To change this situation, we add an argument, the policy is
  if a new source/sink is connected and current default source/sink's
  active_port is AVAILABLE_NO, we let the new added one switch to
  default one.