I am experiencing this problem in 14.04 (it started recently, I don't remember
exactly when).
Deja dup does indeed remember the password, but it prompts for it with regular,
short, intervals with the password pre-entered. I just have to press «continue»
every few minutes.

Running the backup from the terminal, I get this output when the
password prompt shows up:

** (deja-dup:12936): WARNING **: BackendFile.vala:487: Operasjonen ikke tillatt
av motoren
** (deja-dup:12936): WARNING **: BackendFile.vala:487: Operasjonen ikke tillatt
av motoren
(deja-dup:12936): Gtk-CRITICAL **: _gtk_widget_captured_event: assertion
'WIDGET_REALIZED_FOR_EVENT (widget, event)' failed

The second time the it asked, the last message even appeared three times.
«Operasjonen ikke tillatt av motoren» means «Operation not permitted by the
engine».

Changing the backup destination folder does not fix the problem. In fact, no
files show up in the new folder at all.
I am backing up over ftp.

Packages, which is subscribed to deja-dup in Ubuntu.

  repeatedly asks for encryption password when backing up, even though
  "remember password" is ticked

Status in “deja-dup” package in Ubuntu:

  I've set deja-dup to back up automatically, and to encrypt files. But it
never gets far: every few seconds, it brings up a "password needed" window
somewhere out of sight (behind other windows; but that is another
problem/feature), even though I've told it to remember the password.

  So using this backup software seems entirely impractical; it will never
finish.

  Package: deja-dup 20.1-0ubuntu0.2
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Apr 27 09:50:47 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Beta amd64 (20110921.2)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_CA:en
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_CA.UTF-8