I think the logic here is that you have to "unselect" a result by pressing
Enter so it doesn't appear bold before you can edit it. I would prefer that it
unselect itself when you edit it but that just my opinion. But now, if I
reproduce these step:
- choose "decimal" and enter a decimal number
- choose "hexadecimal" to convert the number in hexa
- press Enter to "unselect" the result to be able to edit it, it display the
value in decimal again unselected

Maybe the logic should be to capture the whole actual input, regardless
of whet "selected" or not? I think that's what most people would expect,
like in an actual calculator: what you see in the input is what is used
for the calcul.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-calculator in Ubuntu.

  gnome-calculator 3.10.2 report "incorrect expression" when switching
  from hexa to decimal

Status in GNOME Calculator:
  Fix Released
Status in “gnome-calculator” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “gnome-calculator” source package in Trusty:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  * Impact

  base changes lead to errors

  * Test case
  - open gnome-calculator
  - choose "Programming mode"
  - choose "decimal" and enter a decimal number
  - choose "hexadecimal" to convert the number in hexa

  -> then try to put and other hexadecimal number and you get the error,
  you shouldn't

  * Regression potential

  Check that base changes still work correctly