For me;
A fix on the non-performing machine mentioned on he previous post.
 Take the .wav file that I had chosen (which did not play) and
Using  "OggConvert" convert it into an .ogg file.
OggConvert is a GUI application from the repository that 's pretty well
intuitive.(you might have to install it)
 Go to thunderbird /edit/preferences/general  and choose  the newly created
.ogg file from where you saved it.
Worked for me. Although I don't know which player did the job.
Now chosen .OGG sound file plays.
Just tried it on a whim and success,,,,,,,,,,,, if it lasts.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Thunderbird doesn't play any sound on notification

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  On Intrepid, thunderbird 2.0.0.17, there is no way to let it play a
  sound when a new email is received, neither by setting a specific .wav
  file, nor by let it use the deafult sound system event.