I have the same problem still with ubuntu 14.04, and have had it for a long
time. Can't ecactly tell since when. But it must have been years.
It's reproducible. It happens every time after resume. Maybe not if the resume
lasted only for half a minute.
What may contribute is the fact, that I configured a global socks proxy that
only connects after I enter the pin for my smartcard.

Packages, which is subscribed to telepathy-gabble in Ubuntu.

  After suspend, all gabble/jabber accounts in Empathy report "Network
  Error" and do not reconnect

Status in “telepathy-gabble” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: telepathy-gabble

  Consistently after I bring my Ubuntu 10.10 laptop back from suspend to
  RAM, Empathy reports all of the Jabber accounts (curiously, except for
  Google Talk; that one continues to work fine, consistently) as being
  in the "Network Error" state, and pressing the reconnect button will
  immediately produce no change.

  Even so, it appears that telepathy-gabble isn't completely hung: I can
  still interrogate it with d-feet.

  The workaround appears to be to killall telepathy-gabble and click the
  reconnect button manually on each (oddly, it seems that Empathy has
  given up auto-retrying those accounts, which is unfortunate).

  Do log messages from telepathy connection managers go anywhere in
  particular?  .xsession-errors does not appear to have any relevant
  messages in it.

  Package: telepathy-gabble 0.10.0-1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.33-generic 2.6.35.4
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: amd64