Same here (using just <Super>Button4/5). The problem only occurs when
using Button4 and 5 (mouse wheel). Using other buttons works fine.

Using the mouse wheel is quite intuitive for this feature so not being
able to use this mapping completely is a bit of a pitty…

I'm also on 14.04, fresh install from beginning of October.

Packages, which is subscribed to compiz in Ubuntu.

  Enhanced Zoom Desktop only works if mouse pointer is over the active
  window

Status in “compiz” package in Ubuntu:

  I have my Enhanced Zoom Desktop enabled and setup as follows:

  Zoom In Button: <Control><Super>Button4
  Zoom Out Button: <Control><Super>Button5
  Enable focus tracking: Disabled

  I've noticed that since upgrading to 14.04, I can only use the zoom
  functionality if my mouse cursor sits above the currently focused
  window.  If, for example, I move my cursor to another monitor without
  clicking to activate the window in that area, I cannot use my defined
  shortcut to increase or decrease the magnification level.  The same is
  true if I move my cursor outside the bounds of the currently focused
  window within the same display.

  I would expect that I should be able to increase or decrease the
  magnification level of the display regardless of the mouse position
  within it.  This appeared to be the case at least on 12.04.

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      14.04

  $ apt-cache policy compiz
  compiz:
    Installed: 1:0.9.11.2+14.04.20140714-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1:0.9.11.2+14.04.20140714-0ubuntu1