It seems that this change actually broke .dmrc files on Debian.

I'm currently investigating, but it seems that the files (~/.dmrc and
/var/cache/lightdm/dmrc/user.dmrc) are not updated anymore with the
selected session.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Scans all user accounts when not required

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Fix Released
Status in Light Display Manager 1.10 series:
  Fix Released
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “lightdm” source package in Trusty:
  In Progress
Status in “lightdm” source package in Utopic:

  [Impact]
  When AccountsService is not present on startup LightDM scans all the user
accounts and attempts to access the dmrc file for each user. It does not use
any information from the dmrc files. If you have many users and/or the dmrc
files are on a slow filesystem this creates a big startup delay.

  [Test Case]
  1. Start LightDM on a system that doesn't have AccountsService and has many
users
  Expected result:
  LightDM starts quickly
  Observed result:
  LightDM takes a long time to start

  [Regression potential]
  Low. We now only access the dmrc files when information from them i s
required (lazy load). Tested with regression tests.