Thanks Jorg...

I see now why I never encountered this bug. I can see how anyone who
encounters it would find it frustrating, but...

I never do anything fancy with respect to fonts in my emails, and I
always recommend to others that they should never do anything fancy in
HTML emails. I tell them that if they want someone to get something
fancy, send them a binary attachment (PDF is what I recommend).

Since Outlook (as much as I hate it, it is the mail client with the
largest install base) switched to using Word for its HTML rendering
engine (in spite of the immediate and ongoing massive complaints and
uproar), which is one of the worst HTML rendering engines there is, it
just doesn't make sense to waste a lot of time making something look
fancy when there is every probability that the vast majority of anyone
you may send it to will NOT see it the way you intended.

All I ever do is sometimes use lists, change styles, etc, but only minor
tweaks...

And I never edit quoted text either (that just seems wrong to me)...

Anyway, hopefully this one will now get squashed sooner rather than
later now that iti is easily reproducible...

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  composer changes font mid email

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News:
  Confirmed
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  As I'm typing my emails in Thunderbird, I can see what appears to be a
  font size change on screen, normally in the second line of text. The
  second line appear smaller than the first. It's barely perceptible, so
  half them time I think I am imagining it.

  Well, I've started Bccing to myself to check, and the emails I am
  receiving from myself are not only a different size, they're also a
  different font. Composer starts in some default serif, and by the
  second line is sans. I'd bee glad to email someone viz thunderbird,
  and also send along a screenshot of how it looks while I am typing.

  Thanks.