After all these years, I finally found that I was still experiencing
this bug (see my comment 88) because of the addon Enigmail, that
automatically sets "mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed" to "false".

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Opening a message from the drafts folder for editing does not remove
  added linebreaks

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News:
  Fix Released
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: mozilla-thunderbird

  When I open a message for editing in the Drafts folder the linebreaks
  added by Thunderbird are not removed. The implication of this is that
  the line wrapping gets screwed up when I edit a paragraph.

  Steps to reproduce:

  1. Create a new message and type in some 100 characters (no line
  breaks).

  2. Save the message.

  3. Open the message for editing from the Drafts folder and append a
  new word at the end of the first line.

  Result: The paragraph is not wrapped correctly; the appended word is
  on a line by itself despite not being the last word of the paragraph.

  Expected result: The appended word should not be on a line by itself
  since it is not the last word in the paragraph.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386