I am also affected by this bug, using 14.04 LTS.

Hardware:
Asus Pro52H Notebook
Sound-Chip is as described above: Intel HDA, AD1986A NM10/ICH7

The symptom is also as described above:
In the alsamixer the port is continually switching between Speakers and
Headphones.
In result on the desktop you can see a constantly "blinking" volume display.

This happens just with the basic installation (auto detection), so the
default installation already leads to the bug.

In can confirm that the bug is related to the auto mute feature, it only
happens when auto mute is enabled. On the other hand having it disabled,
I got no sound at all (though at least no blinking volume display on the
screen).

Currently I am using this setting in alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=laptop-eapd position_fix=1

With this at least I got the headphones working and the blinking volume display
does not appear any more.
As said, speaker not working, already the speaker port is said to be "not
available" in the sound control.

Using that manual option last year I already had a fully working sound
in an earlier release, I think it was 13.04, though I am not 100% sure.

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  speakers audio won't work - pavucontrol is switching continually
  between speakers and headphones

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  The port is continually switching between Speakers and Heaphones and no audio
is outputting from the speakers. I have tried various distributions and have
found that this problems is NOT present in Ubuntu 11.04, 12.04, 13.04. I have
not tried 11.10, or 12.10. But have found 13.10 and 14.04 to show this
identical problem.
  My main concern is for the 14.04 LTS version I am currently using.

  - I tried regulating the audio from alsamixer -by disabling auto-mute in
alsamixer i managed to stop it switching from one port to the other. Still, no
audio from speakers (only a regular and low-volume BUMP comes out)
  - I tried modifying the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file. Since i could
not find my pc (Packard Bell EasyNote MX45) in the alsa-configuration list, i
have tried using only the audio boards main info as referral (Intel HDA AD1986A
NM10/ICH7). Thus i have added to the alsa-base.conf the following and rebooted
after trying each and every new line (added only once per try, not all of them
together).
                    -options snd-hda-intel model=laptop
                    -options snd-hda-intel model=laptop-eapd
                    -options snd-hda-intel model=3stack
                    -options snd-hda-intel model=generic

  - Also tried the position_fix quirking suggested on the ubuntu documentation
pages
                   -options snd-hda-intel position_fix= 1
                   -options snd-hda-intel position_fix= 2

  The audio outputted from the speakers kept being a regular BUMP and
  nothing more, regardless of the input.

  Package: pulseaudio 1:4.0-0ubuntu11
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-24-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: i386
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  xubuntu    3690 F.... pulseaudio
  CasperVersion: 1.340