Public bug reported:

Using pitive 0.93-3ubuntu0.1, I get a message saying "Pitivi 0.94.0 is
available".

IMHO that message shouldn't be shown if pitivi has been installed from
repositories. It may lead to confusion to users which will try to
install new version (maybe from the pitivi website) while having the
version from the repositories already installed...

It's similar to what happens with firefox. If you install it from
repositories, it doesn't show any "Check for updates" option.

Thanks!

** Affects: pitivi (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pitivi in Ubuntu.

  Newer version available message shoudn't be shown

Status in “pitivi” package in Ubuntu: