Public bug reported:

Over in LP: #1391337 I reported a problem on vivid where Terminal wasn't
displaying its menu bar underlines when you hold down Alt.  This was
perhaps caused by a problem in the switch from gconf to gsettings.
I've turned on Terminal->Preferences->General->Enable mnemonics

Now the menu bar underlines are there, but when I dive into the items of
a menu, there are no underlines on the shortcuts until I hit down arrow.
However, the shortcuts are available even before hitting down arrow.

For example:

Alt-t brings up the Terminal menu.  Reset and Clear is bound to 'l'
(el), but the 'l' in 'Clear' is not underlined.  If I hit 'l' at this
point, the operation works.

If, after hitting Alt-t to bring up the Terminal menu I then hit down
arrow, the underline in the 'l' in 'Clear' shows up.

The menu item underlines should show up immediately when the menu items
are displayed.

** Affects: unity (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Terminal keyboard shortcut problem

Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu: