I don't think I changed the 'Force window on top' setting before I used
onboard for the first time, but I can't be sure. Maybe there should be a
warning pop-up when disabling this option? I guess if there's no other
solution with the way Dash works then there's nothing to do.

Packages, which is subscribed to onboard in Ubuntu.

  onboard loses the focus when attempting to type in Unity Dash

Status in Onboard on-screen keyboard:
  Incomplete
Status in “onboard” package in Ubuntu:

  It's impossible to use Onboard onscreen keyboard to type in the Unity
  Dash search box unless onboard is set to 'Force Window on Top' in the
  Onboard preferences. Setting this shouldn't be necessary as onboard
  should automatically pop-up when the user selects any object that
  needs text entry.

  How to reproduce:
  1. Start onboard on a computer with a touchscreen with the onboard setting
'Force Window on Top' disabled
  2. Touch the Unity 'search your computer and online sources' to open Dash
  3. Touch the 'Search your computer and online sources' search field to begin
typing

  Result:
  Dash takes the focus away from onboard, meaning it's impossible to type in
the Dash search field

  Expected result:
  I should be able to use onboard to type in the Dash search field, without
needing a physical keyboard or other workarounds

  Workarounds:
  In Onboard preferences set 'Force Window on Top'
  Use a physical keyboard (defeats the purpose of Unity as a touch interface)

  Package: onboard 1.0.0-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-36.63-generic 3.13.11.6
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-36-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.4
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sun Sep 28 19:56:37 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140416.2)
  SourcePackage: onboard