It may be a coincidence that Ubuntu 14.04 locked up the two times I
repeated the steps outlined in this report.

I now recall an old bug I reported that might be the true cause of this issue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1314368

I'm not certain, but again, I'm reporting all I know.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Chrominum Locks Up Ubuntu 14.04

Status in Pepperflashplugin Nonfree:
  New
Status in “chromium-browser” package in Ubuntu:

  Twice today, I had to shutdown my Ubuntu 14.04 improperly due to
  system lock-up.

  Each time the lockup happened, these are the exact steps I did:
  1) Launch Chromium browser
  2) Go to https://login.microsoftonline.com
  3) type in an email address
  4) Press tab (attempting to move cursor to password field)

  At this point the entire system locked up.

  The only recent package I recall installing (related to Chromium) was
  the pepperflashplugin-nonfree. So, it may be a bug in that plugin that
  is the culprit. I'm not sure, but I hope my report helps.

  Package: chromium-browser 38.0.2125.111-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1061
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-39.66-generic 3.13.11.8
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-39-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Mon Nov 24 10:48:49 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  SourcePackage: chromium-browser
  modified.conffile..etc.default.chromium.browser: [deleted]
  mtime.conffile..etc.chromium.browser.default: 2014-11-23T00:10:36.963259