I am the one who confirmed your bug. It still affects me on
38.0.2125.111.

It is quite subtle and minor nuisance. I'm not sure how to make this
reproducible for someone else but I suspect it will require a large
browsing history so you trigger a "relatively" long search in the
suggestions list when you start typing. Clearing cache does not work.

On my machine, if I open a new tab and immediately and rapidly type
"asdf", it always comes out mixed up. Now, if I press Esc so the address
bar clears, and repeat this process, most of the time "adsf" comes out,
otherwise "afsd" comes out. However, if I backspace out the characters
and retype, "asdf" comes out correctly.

If I do the mirror analogue with my right hand, ";lkj", it always comes
out correctly. The main difference appears to be that when I type "a", a
list of suggestions immediately appears, whereas when I type ";", there
are no suggestions.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Characters mixing up in address bar

Status in “chromium-browser” package in Ubuntu:

  I hope this wasn't reported already, but couldn't find any recent
  reports.

  This is a relatively new bug, I don't think it was in v34.

  I often move the cursor to the address bar using F6 and instantly
  start typing my URL / search term afterwards. F6 leads to a quite
  noticable freeze while the suggestions box (or whatever that box below
  the bar is called) loads, at least on my aging ~5 years old system.
  Same issue when opening a new tab and starting to type, the
  suggestions take a while to load so chromium freezes for some time.

  That's not a big issue, but any characters I type during the freeze
  may come up in wrong order once chromium unfreezes. Sometimes they are
  ordered correctly, but quite often some of the letters are swapped. So
  it's not just in rare circumstances, but the freeze is not that easily
  reproducible because it seems to happen only when the bar wasn't used
  for some time. When there's no (or only a very short) freeze, there's
  no bug.

  At first I thought that my typing skills have suffered a lot because I
  was googling for slightly wrong terms all the time, but then noticed
  that chromium (or something that handles input and passes it to
  chromium?) is to blame, not me. [Or maybe I really hit the keys in a
  wrong order all the time while thinking that it is correct, but that
  seems unlikely, since I usually fix those finger syncing typos
  unconsciously.]

  Package: chromium-browser 36.0.1985.125-0ubuntu1.14.04.0~pkg1029
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-34.60-generic 3.13.11.4
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-34-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Wed Aug 20 17:23:39 2014
  Desktop-Session:
   DESKTOP_SESSION = ubuntu
   XDG_CONFIG_DIRS = /etc/xdg/xdg-ubuntu:/usr/share/upstart/xdg:/etc/xdg
   XDG_DATA_DIRS =
/usr/share/ubuntu:/usr/share/gnome:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/
  Env:
   MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH = None
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH = None
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release amd64 (20121017.5)
  SourcePackage: chromium-browser
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2014-04-22 (120 days ago)
  gconf-keys: /desktop/gnome/applications/browser/exec =
b'/usr/bin/chromium-browser\n'/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/command =
b'/usr/bin/chromium-browser %s\n'/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/enabled =
b'true\n'/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command = b'/usr/bin/chromium-browser
%s\n'/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/enabled =
b'true\n'/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager =
b''/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager =
b''/desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme =
b'gnome\n'/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme = b'Clearlooks\n'
  modified.conffile..etc.default.chromium.browser: [deleted]
  mtime.conffile..etc.chromium.browser.default: 2014-04-23T00:11:40.712095