As my case is slightly specific, let me describe it too. I use specific variant of Polish keyboard - pl(intl) instead of default pl (it is simply much better considering extra symbols). This variant is configured in unity settings (I finally removed all other keyboards from there), while fighting with the problem I also configured it in /etc/default/keyboard.
Since I updated to 14.04, at chaotic moments (at least a few times a day but I did not spot any rule yet), my layout silently switches back to 'pl'. Whenever I spot it, I issue "setxkbmap 'pl(intl)'" and get my keyboard back ……… for some time. And again, and again. Thing is not login/reboot related, one of my machines works continuously for weeks (and presents me this problem every day). I experience it both on „normal Unity desktop” and on somewhat specific machine with Gnome+Awesome. I noticed that ~/.dmrc (I have no clue what it is and where it comes from, I checked it as it was mentioned above) has WRONG layout (Layout=pl without variant) It may be of importance (someone above mentioned mixed language settings), that I have LANG=en_US.UTF-8 (and other locale similarly). -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1246272 Title: Keyboard layout changing randomly Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu: Confirmed Status in unity-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu: Confirmed Bug description: Just upgraded from 12.04 (raring) to 12.10 (saucy) and keyboard layout keeps changing from pt_br to what I think is en_us. It seems random so I don't know what trigger this, but sometimes just alt-tabbing is enough to mess with keyboard layout in one of the windows. I already removed the en_us from my keyboard sources, double checked the use of one source for all windows, and even removed accelerators to switch between layouts but none have worked. ProblemType: Bug DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.10 Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu44 ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-12.19-generic 3.11.3 Uname: Linux 3.11.0-12-generic x86_64 ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2 Architecture: amd64 Date: Wed Oct 30 09:12:48 2013 ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/gnome-control-center InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-05-20 (163 days ago) InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130424) MarkForUpload: True SourcePackage: gnome-control-center UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to saucy on 2013-10-22 (8 days ago) usr_lib_gnome-control-center: activity-log-manager 0.9.7-0ubuntu4 deja-dup 27.3.1-0ubuntu1 gnome-control-center-datetime 13.10.0+13.10.20131016.2-0ubuntu1 gnome-control-center-signon 0.1.7~+13.10.20130724.1-0ubuntu1 gnome-control-center-unity 1.3+13.10.20131004-0ubuntu1 To manage notifications about this bug go to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/1246272/+subscriptions -- Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages Post to : [email protected] Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

