I need to use unity-2d and have autologin.  If I logout, login with
unity-2d  and then reboot it comes back up as unity 3D.  Is that the
same bug as reported here?

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Lightdm auto-login doesn't remember session

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Triaged
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “lightdm” source package in Oneiric:

  I use lightdm with auto-login. Whenever lightdm starts, the unity
  session is loaded automatically. If, then, I exit this session, log
  into gnome-shell, log out, and restart lightdm, the unity session is
  loadad again instead of gnome-shell.

  Package: lightdm 0.9.3-0ubuntu8
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-9.14-generic-pae 3.0.3
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-9-generic-pae i686
  Architecture: i386