Public bug reported:

In previous versions of Ubuntu, typing in nautilus selects the first
file that starts with that sequence. In Oneiric, in most cases it
doesn't. When it does, the sequence field comes up but when I try to
erase characters from it using backspace, it sends me back in directory
visit history.

This is very annoying because I am used to only navigating directories
with my keyboard.

** Affects: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Typing letters should select the file of which the name starts with
  them, but now nautilus acts weird.

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu: