And see bug #864174

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  After latest upgrade of oneiric, Lightdm or Xserver not working

Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
  New
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  It seems that, after last upgrade of Oneiric made one hour ago, either
Xserver or lightdm doesn't work anymore.
  Before the login screen Ubuntu prints out some state messages. The last one
is "Checking battery state" (mine it is not a portable PC)
  I have to press Alt+F1, I logged in and wrote "startx". Gnome3 says "Failed
to load session "gnome-fallback"" (my pc doesn't support neither Gnome-shell
nor Unity3D) and pressing the only button Log Out terminal compares again.
  Is it possible to rollback last upgrade of Lightdm?