Martin-Éric Racine, thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu. Gutsy reached
EOL on April 18th, 2009.
See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Is this an issue on a supported release? If so, could you please execute the
following command, as it will automatically gather debugging information, in a
terminal:
apport-collect 136853

** Attachment removed: "ECRAN_IBM_SERIES1200.jpg"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion/+bug/136853/+attachment/553540/+files/ECRAN_IBM_SERIES1200.jpg

** Attachment removed: "Xorg.0.log with SMI_DEBUG"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion/+bug/136853/+attachment/526034/+files/Xorg.0.log

** Attachment removed: "Xorg.0.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion/+bug/136853/+attachment/509402/+files/Xorg.0.log

** Attachment removed: "Xorg.0.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion/+bug/136853/+attachment/506128/+files/Xorg.0.log

** Attachment removed: "Xorg conf - Valid"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion/+bug/136853/+attachment/303512/+files/xorg.conf

** Attachment removed: "xorg.conf - Valid"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion/+bug/136853/+attachment/211791/+files/xorg.conf

** Attachment removed: "Xorg.0.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion/+bug/136853/+attachment/211805/+files/Xorg.0.log

** Package changed: xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion (Ubuntu) => xorg
(Ubuntu)

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion in
Ubuntu.

  Screen blanks and freezes after a few minutes of idling, possibly due
  to broken DPMS

Status in xf86-video-siliconmotion:
  Confirmed
Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:

  Since switching to Gutsy to verify whether the packages I maintain
  still operate as expected, I have noticed that after a  few minutes of
  idle operation, the screen goes blank and cannot be returned to
  normal. The only way to get screen content again is to reboot, which
  is possible either by pressing the ACPI-enabled power button or a
  remote SSH connection. Broken DPMS is suspected, although I have no
  way of confirming this.

  Purposely downgrading xserver-xorg-core and anything that depend on
  it, then pining it to that version, while keeping all the rest of the
  packages to Gutsy versions solves it, which suggests something related
  to X.org upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 might be at play.

  Note: someone on #ltsp mentions a similar situation using xserver-
  xorg-video-amd, yet the exact same AMD driver doesn't exhibit this
  behavior when compiled and used with earlier X releases.