Christopher, you seem to be talking assuming that I changed the bug
status or pretending to mark this bug as solved, but that's not what I
meant. I only wanted to share my experience because I think it could be
useful to solve the bug. Sorry if I don't understand something, so
please explain me if it is.

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  Cracking noise on Canon lide30, possibility for hardware failure

Status in SANE-backends - Backends for SANE:
  Unknown
Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:

  When I try to use Xsane, scanner  initializes fine, but when scanning
  should start it makes loud cracking noise like trying to move reading
  head to wrong direction. This same problem appeared in Dapper and Edgy
  with all updates.

  I'm quite sure that this could lead to broking the scanner
  permanently.

  Then I downgraded the libsane package to 1.0.15-9 from Debian and
  scanner works fine.

  Used version:  libsane  1.0.18-3ubuntu API library for scanners
  Known good: libsane        1.0.15-9       API library for scanners

  I think this bug is critical to Canon lide30 owners rendering libsane
  dangerous to hardware!