Public bug reported:

Open windows/application will periodically end up on a non-existent
workspace. This happens very regularly after unlocking the screen lock
but also occassionally it will happen without having locked the screen.
Swithcing back to a workspace and a given app will simply not be there.
It appears like you cannot restore a window but in reality one can use
unity tweak, increase the number of workspaces horizontally and find the
window and move it back to the workspaces in use.

I'm running 14.04, in a dual monitor scenario, normally with only three
workspaces arranged vertically, for 6 screens in all but only 3
workspaces. The disappearing windows always end up horizontally from the
correct workspace. I haven't been able to tell for sure but having a
dual window virtualbox running or a fullscreened Remmia RDP session may
be a catalyst.

** Affects: unity (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Windows move to non-existent workspace

Status in unity package in Ubuntu: