This has been fixed upstream already

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Screensaver activates at the wrong times in Oneiric

Status in Gnome Settings Daemon:
  Fix Released
Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:

  In my up-to-date oneiric, screensaver is acting errantly. I switched
  the setting to 1 minute. The screen began fading away at the proper
  time. I then ran a video in totem for a time and the screen cut off at
  ten minutes (with no fading). I then cut off the video and the screen
  faded (as it should) after a minute.

  I cannot reliably determine what it is that the issue is. I have asked
  someone to repro the issue and they didn't seem to be affected. I've
  deleted all my settings files and the issue persists.