Going through my browser history, I realized I had definitely managed to
play some youtube videos after the upgrade to Utopic, in at least two of
the mentioned browsers.  I closed everything down, rebooted, and have
been able to play videos in all three browsers.  I have no idea why all
three wouldn't play videos, whether html5 or flash, all at the same
time, but rebooting cleared it up just fine.  I should have done so
before filing the report.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  After upgrade from 14.04 to 14.10 youtube videos do not play in
  Chromium, Chrome, or Firefox

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  I just discovered that after upgrading to Utopic a few days ago,
  youtube html5 and flash videos simply don't play in Chrome, Chromium,
  or FireFox.  Videos will load, appear to buffer, but not play at all.
  The player interface will be responsive, but the video does not play,
  the seek bar does not move, and no sound is heard.  I checked the
  software updater tool to see if there have been further releases of
  any of these packages, and it says my computer's software is up to
  date.  I did some searching and found this bug, recently closed from
  inactivity which appears to describe the same symptoms as I'm having:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1386931

  Package: chromium-browser 39.0.2171.65-0ubuntu0.14.10.1.1106
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-28.38-generic 3.16.7-ckt1
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Mon Jan  5 00:05:00 2015
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  SourcePackage: chromium-browser
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to utopic on 2014-12-27 (8 days ago)
  modified.conffile..etc.default.chromium.browser: [deleted]
  mtime.conffile..etc.chromium.browser.default: 2014-12-27T14:52:55.129179