I don't know if it's linked but I'm playing with a Wifi rooteur and I
often change the name/encryption of the device, and to refresh the list
of the devices the refresh button isn't enough : sometimes it detect a
wrong encryption (none instead of psk), sometimes it doesn't detect the
Wifi network (while "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" does). I'm not sure it's
linked to this problem but if it is I hope it can help.

  Networkmanager does not autoconnect to wireless network

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  When adding a net wireless network and enable "connect automatically'
  networkmanager does not automatically connect to the network wenever
  possible.

  I'm running kubuntu 14.10 daily.

  Package: network-manager 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu23
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-6.11-generic 3.16.0-rc7
  CurrentDesktop: KDE
  Date: Sun Aug 10 21:30:03 2014
  IfupdownConfig:
   # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 14.10 "Utopic Unicorn" - Alpha amd64 (20140710)
  IpRoute:
   default via 192.168.0.2 dev wlan0  proto static
   192.168.0.0/24 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.0.213
metric 9
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  nmcli-dev:
   DEVICE     TYPE              STATE         DBUS-PATH

   wlan0      802-11-wireless   connected
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1
   eth0       802-3-ethernet    unavailable
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0
  nmcli-nm:
   RUNNING         VERSION    STATE           NET-ENABLED   WIFI-HARDWARE
WIFI       WWAN-HARDWARE   WWAN
   running         0.9.8.8    connected       enabled       enabled
enabled    enabled         disabled