I've uploaded fixes for this bug to the Trusty and Utopic -proposed
queues for review by the SRU team.  Thanks!

Packages, which is subscribed to system-tools-backends in Ubuntu.

  fix current user's info retrieval

Status in system-tools-backends package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in system-tools-backends source package in Trusty:
  In Progress
Status in system-tools-backends source package in Utopic:
  In Progress
Status in system-tools-backends package in Debian:

  [Impact]

  When a user tries to change his full name via users-admin or
mate-users-admin, an error in system-tools-backends prevents him from doing
that, and
  the name remains unchanged (see [Other Info]).

  The problem is already fixed in Debian and Ubuntu 15.04, but system-
  tools-backends remains unpatched in 14.04 and 14.10.

  The attached patch fixes the issue and allows user to change the full
  name without any warnings or errors appearing.

  [Test Case]

  Run users-admin or mate-users-admin from the terminal. Click on the button
for changing your full name, change the name to something else and click "OK".
  You'll see a warning message in the terminal:

  Liboobs-WARNING **: There was an unknown error communicating with the
  backends: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 255

  The full name won't be changed (see [Other Info]).

  [Regression Potential]

  I consider the regression risk to be low here. The patch has been
  already tested by me and system-tools-backends maintainer in Debian
  (see the corresponding Debian bug report).

  [Other Info]

  If https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1411584 isn't fixed, the new name
  will appear in the GUI, but it really won't be changed.  You can see
  that for yourself by simply restarting users-admin or mate-users-admin
  - it will show the old name then.

  If that bug is fixed, an error message dialog will appear, and the
  name in the GUI won't be changed.