Whenever I attempt to start Thunderbird, in Xubuntu 11.10, it quits
after asking if it is to be the default email application. I can't say
it quits unexpectedly, since it quits at the same time every time.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  thunderbird aborts unexpectedly

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  The short story:

  1) $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      9.04

  2) $ apt-cache policy thunderbird
  thunderbird:
    Installed: 2.0.0.22+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.9.04.1
    Candidate: 2.0.0.22+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.9.04.1
    Version table:
   *** 2.0.0.22+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.9.04.1 0
          500 http://br.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty-updates/main Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com jaunty-security/main Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       2.0.0.21+nobinonly-0ubuntu1.9.04.1 0
          500 http://br.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages

  3) I expected the program to keep running

  4) The program closes unexpectedly (as if killed).

  Now, for the long story... starting yesterday (I think), thunderbird
  started closing on its own... some times I was using it, most of the
  times it was just idle (and I only noticed after coming back to its
  desktop).

  I have a complex IMAP setup with about 20 servers in it (and 4 or 5
  smtp servers). My home directory (and thus, my thunderbird profile) is
  on an NFS share (which runs just fine). Anyway, this is just context,
  thunderbird's been running nicely on this setup for more than a year.

  Thunderbird upgraded from 2.0.0.21+nobinonly-0ubuntu1.9.04.1 to
  2.0.0.22+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.9.04.1 almost a week ago, and this
  behavior only started yesterday or the day before.

  I'm using a quite similar setup (without NFS) at home, and everything
  runs just fine (so far).

  I'm attaching an strace output, please let me know if I can add some
  more info.

  TIA