system-config-printer-gnome 1.4.3+20140219-0ubuntu2.5
python-cups 1.9.66-0ubuntu2
libcups2 1.7.2-0ubuntu1.2

I use 1.7.2 CUPS clients with a 1.4.2 CUPS server.

To access to print menu in any applications, it was very slow (about 2
minutes), I have configured the version=1.1 option in /etc/cups
client.conf, and now all works fine except system-config-printer so it
may confirm that it doesn't respect  the version=1.1 option in
client.conf and still use IPP 2.0.

Packages, which is subscribed to system-config-printer in Ubuntu.

  system-config-printer fails with cups-client talking to cups 1.3
  server

Status in system-config-printer package in Ubuntu:

  system-config-printer-gnome version 1.4.3+20140219-0ubuntu2.1
  python-cups version 1.9.66-0ubuntu2
  libcups2 version 1.7.2-0ubuntu1.1

  I have my systems configured to talk to a cups 1.3 server, which only
  speaks IPP 1.1, so I have in /etc/cups/client.conf:

  ServerName cups-serv.example.com/version=1.1

  ...and printing from applications and the command line works fine.

  When I run system-config-printer, all the printers are shown in a
  dialogue box, but attempting to refresh the dialogue box or perform
  any operation on any of the printer icons in the box produces an error
  box saying:

  CUPS server error

  There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'Bad Request'.

  Viewing the network traffic with wireshark I see that system-config-printer
is making some requests with IPP version 2.0, and it is these requests which
the CUPS server is objecting to.  system-config-printer (or perhaps the python
CUPS libraries it uses, or perhaps the underlying C CUPS API) should respect
the version=1.1 option in client.conf.