I've traced the problem to udev.
The ID_FS_* properties are missing from the udev device.
udisks2 uses the ID_FS_TYPE property to determine the filesystem type.

** Package changed: udisks2 (Ubuntu) => udev (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to udisks2 in Ubuntu.

  Can't mount exFAT on Ubuntu 14.10

Status in udev package in Ubuntu:

  I've installed the packages exfat-fuse and exfat-utils but I can't mount
exFAT filesystems through udisks2.
  $ udisksctl mount --block-device /dev/sdb1
  Object /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sdb1 is not a mountable
filesystem.

  Mounting with
  $ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 ...
  works fine.