Ver similar/identical issue with my Acer Desktop System running Ubuntu 14.04
AMD64 dual screen with Nvidia driver ver 331.113.
Upgraded the kernel to 3.13.0-45 today (6 Feb 2015) and GUI (Gnome Desktop)
freezes after logon. Also 2nd screen appears to be be dead.
No such problems on prior kernel release 3.13.0-44.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-331 in Ubuntu.

  Black screen when in nvidia mode after updating to kernel  3.13.0-45

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-331 package in Ubuntu:

  After I updated to kernel 3.13.0-45, I cannot use nvidia anymore. Whenever I
try to switch to nvidia mode, my laptop screen goes black. I cannot even switch
to terminal mode using ctrl+alt+F1. However, I can type the following without
seeing anything on the screen:
  first type my password to login and press enter (without seeing anythin).
wait a little bit.
  ctrl+alt+T
  sudo prime-select intel (then password and hit Enter)
  sudo reboot

  The laptop reboots and then I get my screen again in intel mode. So it seems
that while not being able to see anything with the black screen, everything is
still working in background.
  This happens whatever the version of nvidia I am using.

  My laptop is a Lenovo T430. I am using ubuntu 14.04 and I am also
  using nvidia-prime. My kernel version is 3.13.0-45.