The file /etc/lightdm/ligtdm.conf is being created while running
postinst script from lightdm-{kde,gtk}-greeter package. The script needs
the /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults binary. This binary is owned
by lightdm package so it is necessary to install lightdm package before
or at the same time with lightdm-{kde,gtk}-greeter. If lightdm package
was installed after one of the lightdm-greeter packages, you may run
"dpkg-reconfigure lightdm-kde-greeter" or "dpkg-reconfigure lightdm-gtk-
greeter" (depending on the greeter package you have installed) to
generate the proper /etc/lightdm/ligtdm.conf file. This method helped me
to solve the problem.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  greeter doesn't start "failed to load session file"

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

  As of today, lightdm on oneiric doesn't show a login screen.  I have
  verified the greeters are installed so this is different to bug
  816646.  The most likely lines in the log seem to be

    Failed to load session file /usr/share/xgreeters/.desktop: No such file or
directory
    Failed to start greeter
    Stopping display

  I'm just left at a text screen with various stair-stepped log
  messages.

  Package: lightdm 0.9.3-0ubuntu8