I can only reproduce this issue when running Compiz.

If Marco is used, with or without it's compositor enable, take screen
grabs of of area works correctly. This was tested on Ubuntu MATE
14.04.1.

** Also affects: linuxmint

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-screenshot in Ubuntu.

  Screenshot contains selected area highlight

Status in The Linux Mint Distribution:
  New
Status in gnome-screenshot package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in mate-utils package in Ubuntu:

  mate-utils_1.8.1-0+rebecca_amd64
  If i choose "select area to grab" i almost constantly get an annoying green
overlay which is what i just used to highlight the area that i wanted to grab.
  See attached example.
  I'm using Mint MATE x64 17.1, software compositing window manager enabled,
compiz disabled, VGA AMD radeon 6370M, drivers "xserver-xorg-video-ati"
7.3.0-1-ubuntu3.1, kernel 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64.
  I remember this happening since mint 13 or so.