Thanks Timo - I only had light-locker installed, so I did this:

1. Uninstall light-locker
2. Install xcreensaver
3. Reboot

Agreed, it seems to be working fine now, so might be something related
either to light-locker or how it interacts with xfsettingsd.

Thanks for posting a workaround!

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  xfsettingsd and xfce4-volumed using a lot of CPU after screen lock /
  unlock

Status in xfce4-settings:
  Confirmed
Status in xfce4-settings package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in xfce4-volumed package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in xserver-xorg-video-ati package in Ubuntu:

  Just upgraded to Xubuntu 14.10, had issues with fglrx (see
  http://askubuntu.com/questions/552795/xubuntu-14-10-upgrade-issues-
  with-fglrx), went back to radeon drivers. Now it looks to be OK,
  however after locking the screen using xflock4 and unlocking, I get
  these three processes using a lot of CPU (this is on 4-core Phenom II
  X4 N950):

    PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND

   1572 root      20   0  262892  56672  26480 R  89.7  1.4   6:48.70 Xorg

   5025 usr       20   0  312116  11336   4632 R  36.9  0.3   0:17.42
xfce4-volumed

   5036 usr       20   0  327328  10556   5760 S  31.5  0.3   0:13.38
xfsettingsd

  Additional information:

  - Killing and restarting xfsettingsd and xfce4-volumed resolves the issue
until next sleep cycle
  - When running only xfce4-volumed, but not xfsettingsd, the issue does not
appear
  - This can be reproduced always. ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5650 video card
  - The CPU usage does not seem to go down after a while
  - If I got it correctly, it looks like some other processes are also going to
high CPU usage after killing xfce4-volumed. I think I saw xfce4-xkb-plugin
going to 95% CPU usage
  - The issue happens before unlock, i.e. locking then pressing a key to get a
login dialog, then switching to vty1 and doing a top yields the above

  Not sure what else I should check / post that can be useful for
  troubleshooting, let me know.

  Package: xfce4-settings 4.11.3-0ubuntu2
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Sun Nov 23 18:34:02 2014
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140416.2)
  SourcePackage: xfce4-settings
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to utopic on 2014-11-22 (0 days ago)