> > * If you really want to pref this feature away, I think the best way would
> > be a checkbox in "Account Settings..." | "Manage Identities...".

> So, the presence of the "customize" option would depend on which
identity you had selected?

No, I'd make it so that only one identity can have this checkbox checked
(in Account Settings), and that one identity would always be used for
custom email addresses.

That said, I do *not* think that we should pref this away. I think Neil's patch
was just fine.
But I can see the argument.

Personally, I'd just add a one-time message that explains the feature and warns
people.
"Nnormally, you should add your email addresses in Account Setup.
This feature here is for users who want to use a custom author email address
depending on their recipient, for example josh+ama...@gmail.com or
ama...@josh-family.org.
It is only for your own email addresses. Impersonating other people may be
subject to punishment by law."

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Editing the "From" field for the current email only (as text, not
  dropdown)

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News:
  Confirmed
Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  I want to quite often use a particular email address (e.g. for writing
  to a mailing list), where I do not have added the email address to the
  account settings yet.

  However, Thunderbird does not allow to edit the From field, but only
  provides the configured email addresses in a dropdown.

  It would be nice, if you could also edit the From field in a text
  input.

  KMail provides this, for example, and there appear to be some
  extensions for it, but I'd like to avoid using an addon for this, but
  rather think it's a nice feature to have by default.

  I could imagine, that the last entry in the dropdown would say
  "Edit..." or "Custom..." and change the dropdown into a text field.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: mozilla-thunderbird 2.0.0.21+nobinonly-0ubuntu1
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8