Thank you for reporting this problem in Ubuntu.

This looks either like bitrot in the Mesa3D software renderer for the
venerable PPC or else bitrot in the Compiz texture loading on big-endian
hardware.  Since we have neither the maintainers nor the hardware to
even confirm the problem upstream in Compiz, I'm going to have to leave
this bug as New for the antiques enthusiasts to play with.

Patches are welcome upstream.

Packages, which is subscribed to compiz in Ubuntu.

  compiz crashes upon start

Status in compiz package in Ubuntu:

  I got 3D working on my iBook G4 by setting my DefaultDisplay to 16 in
  my xorg.conf file. However compiz crashes when I try to start it.
  attaching my log files.

  Package: compiz-mate 1:0.9.12.1+15.04.20150303-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.18.0-13.14-powerpc-smp 3.18.5
  Uname: Linux 3.18.0-13-powerpc-smp ppc
  ApportVersion: 2.16.2-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: powerpc
  CompizPlugins: No value set for
`/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
  CurrentDesktop: MATE