Public bug reported:

Ubuntu 14.04 up to date 64bit, firefox 36

We had a non-existent setting in /etc/firefox/syspref.js. Firefox
ignored the rest of the file until we commented it out. This is probably
a bug. (FYI, this is a computer lab environment with network filesystem
and disk space quotas.)

// Mandatory settings
lockPref("browser.cache.disk.capacity",         0);
//lockpref("browser.cache.disk.smart_size_cached_value", 0); // non-existent
settings cause firefox to stop reading the rest of this file zomgwtfbbq
lockPref("browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled", false);
lockPref("browser.cache.disk.enable", false);
lockPref("browser.cache.offline.enable", false);
lockPref("privacy.clearOnShutdown.cache", true);

Better behaviour might be to ignore that line but continue reading the
file, or to throw a tantrum^H^H^H^H^Herror.

** Affects: firefox (Ubuntu)

  firefox stops reading syspref.js after encountering non-existent
  setting

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu: