It seems that this bug has been fixed. I am currently using Gedit 3.1O.4
in ubuntu 14.04 and the margin scales correctly. Should the status of
this bug be updated ?

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  Gedit line number margin doesn't scale with font size

Status in Light-Weight Text Editor for Gnome:
  Invalid
Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:

  Machine: 64bit Ubuntu Ocelot with all updates applied as of
  26/09/2011.

  The width of the Gedit line number margin (enabled in preferences)
  doesn't scale with the font size. I am visually impaired and thus have
  my gedit font size set to 16. However when I do this and press enter a
  few times (so I have more than 9 lines in a file) the margin isn't
  expanded to fit the new two digit number. When we have more than 99
  lines (three digits), the margin scales correctly once more.

  This happens on a new setup with fresh configuration files.

  Steps to reproduce:
  1). Open gedit
  2). Change font size to 16 (probably also has issues at other sizes too).
  3). Make more than 9 lines in the file.