Hello,

I fell upon this bug and can confirm that Gedit misbehaves when dealing with a
lot of spaces in a text file. I tested with the provided file the following
way. When treating this string:

'CREATE TABLE people( <240 spaces here> id<newline>...'

the text is displayed in the following manner

CREATE TABLE people
(<240 spaces here>id<newline>

When the cursor is placed between the 'e' in 'people' and the bracket,
when one hits backspace the line is not moved upwards, but the 'e' is
deleted. In fact the line is never moved up one when the <neline> char
is deleted.

I think this is kind of weird behaviour. Can someone confirm that this
is not a normal behaviour. If yes, how should gedit behave? IMHO the
line should be moved up one line when between 'e' in 'people' and the
bracket and when one hits backspace.

HTH

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  gedit problem with long lines

Status in Light-Weight Text Editor for Gnome:
  Confirmed
Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Triaged
Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gedit

  Hi,

  I was editing a text file when the cursor began to behave strangely.
  The file contained these lines:

  CREATE TABLE people(
   integer primary key,
   name varchar(50),
   age integer
  )

  When I put the cursor after the 'l' in 'people', the arrow key would
  not move the cursor to the right. Instead it jumped to the next line.
  Similarly, I could not add text at this position.

  Viewing the file in a hex editor revealed a lot of spaces (284 to be
  accurate) after the opening parenthesis. Probably I've added those
  spaces without knowing it (resting my book "beginning Ruby" on the
  space bar ^ ^). Still, I feel the editor should handle a few hundred
  chars on a line without misbehaviour.

  I attached a copy of the text file.

  Thanks for developing and maintaining this simple but useful editor!

  Tor

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04