I wasn't able to reproduce this with RTM.

That said, there's a pending version of network-manager that fixes a
separate issue with the WiFi access point list showing APs that
shouldn't be there anymore.   See bug #1427205.

There's a version of NM in a PPA that fixes this bug.  @taiebot65, not
sure if you're device is read/write.  If so, would you mind testing this
version of NM to see if helps?

Meanwhile, when I get a chance, I'll try to reproduce on vivid.

  wifi can stay connected to network while out of range

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Device mako
  vivid devel proposed
  channel r155

  When i am at work i often see that i am still connected to my home
  wifi.

  nmcli clearly show that i am connected to my home wifi.

  In order to connect to my work network i need to switch wifi off and
  on. This can take a good 30sec in order to clear all the wifi network
  that has been found. ( up to 100)