Public bug reported:

This might be a totem issue, not a gstreamer one; the ubuntu-bug program
asked what was happening and I selected "video not playing correctly".

After I upgraded from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 14.10, with whatever
gstreamer or totem changes were involved with that, 'advance by one
frame' (the '.' key) didn't work as well. It will almost always not work
at the very start of a video. Sometimes instead of one frame, it will
advance around half a second. Other times, maybe related to seeking in
the video after using it without first starting normal playback again,
it will not work properly or will send you back to where you were in the
video before you seeked to a different time.

Occasionally, it will work at the start of a video, but very rarely if
ever can you do this by pausing, seeking to the start of a video, and
then pressing '.' . You used to be able to do this though.

Right now, trying to seek near the start of a video, if it doesn't just
send you back to wherever you were, usually skips several frames, like 6
frames or so, then starts normal behaviour of advancing 1 frame at a
time.

On a related note, the 'one frame back' key (the ',' key) is either
broken by design or partly by accident. Pressing it usually either
freezes the video, so you have to seek to a different location in order
for the video to start playing normally, or it causes the video to seek
to a totally separate time, and subsequently pressing '.' causes a frame
to be shown which is at a completely separate time than what ',' was
returning. When ',' works instead of freezing the video (possibly only
before I upgraded to 14.10 several months ago), it seemed to usually
seek to near the start of the video before returning frames, though the
'.' key would sort of let you reset playback to where it was before.

As a quick test, I just tried it on a webm/VP9 video, though I think the
same thing happens with other videos:

1) Played for a few seconds, then pressed and held '.' . Result, video advances
at the rate of keyboard sending '.' events.
2) Pressed and held ','. Result, video went back maybe a second, but then
actually played backwards.
3) Pressed and held '.' again. Result, video played backwards instead of
advancing forwards like the key should do.
4) With video paused, seeked forward by 15 sec, and pressed '.' again. Result,
progress bar moved back to video start where it was before seeking, and video
didn't advance as probably still trying to go backwards.
5) With video paused, seek forward by clicking. Unpause video. Result, it goes
back to start and doesn't play.
6) With video on play but not playing, seeked forward again. Result, starts
playing from beginning.
7) With video on play and playing, seeked to a different location. Result,
video still on play but not playing.
8) Paused and then unpaused, video starts playing again.
9) Pressed and held '.' again, video slowly moves forward.
10) Pressed ',' , totem crashes. (don't remember this happening before)

Package: libgstreamer1.0-0 1.4.3-1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-30.40-generic 3.16.7-ckt3
Uname: Linux 3.16.0-30-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
ApportVersion: 2.14.7-0ubuntu8.2
Architecture: amd64