On a hunch I did some experimenting. Right now I have two wifi networks.
One doesn't work - you can associate, authenticate with WPA, but will
not get DHCP as it is not actually connected to anything. The other
works as normal. My phone was configured to either.

If my phone boots and chooses to connect to the network that doesn't
work, images in scopes will be forever broken, even if I do then switch
to the network that does work. So when ogra asked me in IRC if my
network was working, I said yes as I had switched to the network that
was working.

So, steps to reproduce:

1. Turn off DHCP and remove connectivity from your router.
2. Reboot the phone.

Expected behaviour: apps in the Apps scope have icons, but otherwise
Internet scopes are not expected to work.

Actual behaviour: apps in the Apps scope do not have icons.

3. Connect the phone to a wi-fi network that does work.

Expected behaviour: on refresh, all scopes work as normal, and no icons
are missing.

Actual behaviour: on refresh, all scopes work as normal but all icons
are still missing. Apps scope icons continue to be missing.

Workaround: I "forget" the wi-fi network that doesn't work and reboot.
This caused the phone to connect to the working network on boot, and
everything worked.

This is with image r21 on an Aquaris.

** Changed in: unity8 (Ubuntu)

  scopes dont load pictures

Status in the base for Ubuntu mobile products:
  Confirmed
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  The phone (krillin) is clearly connected and you can retrive text data
  but pictures do not updated see, attached pictures.